Monday 6 December 2010

Email to YSJ SU

Having previously emailed the York St John's SU and received no reply, I thought it best to email again. York St John should be a lot more active in this battle against education cuts, we are a small uni, very arts oritented with a lot of poorer students attending, and we would no doubt be hammered badly if the cuts get voted in.
Here is the email I sent to the SU.
Let us hope it gets a response.

I am emailing on behalf of the group within YSJ that has unofficially been organising and rallying support for the protests in york thus far. I emailed Katie last week to ask whether it would be possible to send an email round the  student body at YSJ advertising the march and calling for students to support it. I did not receive a reply. We went to the SU, to speak to her and she took a flyer from us and said she would see what she could do. Again, we heard nothing further.

I appreciate you must all be so incredibly busy, but I am confused and somewhat taken aback by the lack of support our protests have recieved from the SU, and the fact that we have not even been given a reason for this lack of support. You were all so brilliant at organising the trip to the london protest, nobody in our party got lost, nobody got into trouble with the police. This is why I can't understand why there has been no support of the protests in our own home town! it is truly pitiful that out of the people on the march on sunday, there were only ten who marched out from York St Johns. That really looks bad. We are a small caring institution that is a great promoter of the arts, it is the arts that will suffer most heavily under the cuts, and yet we are not showing our outrage at this. Why is this?

Even if the SU has decided not to support the protests, it would be nice to at least be given a reason, instead of being ignored. I know I am not the only one who has come asking for SU assistance with organising.

I have always been proud to say that this is my uni.

I am not feeling so proud of it now.

Please help us organise.
You are our SU president, you are meant to be our voice.
Please help us in this campaign.
York St John should not be silent.

2 comments:

  1. "York St John Students' Union Annual General Meeting will take place in 7 days time - Tuesday 14th December at 4pm in the SU Cafe. For more information, please contact l.hankinson@yorksj.ac.uk"

    If they won't answer emails, get every student in the YSJ anti-cuts movement along on that day and voice concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that! :) we did get a reply to the latest email we sent however, I've posted the reply above in this blog. Hopefully things will be better organised from now on.

    ReplyDelete